A Russian jeweled two-color gold retractable pencil by Nicholls and Plincke, Saint Petersburg, before 1880; of cylindrical form with spiral fluting, having diamonds and cabochon sapphires suspended from it with rose gold ribbons; contained in its original fitted case stamped with the firm’s name with the Imperial Warrant, demonstrating that the firm was designated as Purveyors to the Imperial Court. Length 3 1/2 inches (8.9 cm).
The Magasin Anglais founded by Charles Nicholls and William Plincke was the most fashionable shop in which to purchase luxuries in St. Petersburg and was one of the primary suppliers of table silver to the Imperial court from the 1830s to 1880. The store was located on Nevsky Prospect no. 16 at the corner of Bolshaya Morskaya Street, later home to Fabergé and other Imperial court jewelers.
For additional information about this piece, please contact us.