An antique Russian gold and ruby miniature pendant egg, Karl Bok (or Bock), St. Petersburg, 1908-1917. The front of the polished body set with a large faceted ruby. Height including smaller suspension ring only: 5/8 in. (1.6 cm).
The firm of Karl Bok (1851-?), an Imperial Court Jeweler, received the designation of Supplier to the Court in 1901. Primarily jewelers rather than silver- or goldsmiths, the firm had shops in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Their Saint Petersburg shop was located in a prime location at No. 9 Bolshaya Morskaya, the street on which all the most important jewelers had their shops, at the corner of Nevsky Prospect. The superior quality of their work was recognized both in Russia and abroad: they received the Gold Medal at the 1896 All-Russian Exhibition in Nizhnii Novgorod as well as at the 1900 Paris Exposition universelle. Not surprisingly, it was here that the future Fabergé workmaster Feodor Afanasiev received his training, serving as an apprentice and journeyman before receiving the status of master with the right to use his own mark. Karl Bok’s son Alexander also worked at the firm and was recognized as such а skilled and prominent jeweler that he was selected to work alongside mineralogist Alexander Fersman and Agathon Fabergé in cataloguing the Imperial Court jewels in the State Diamond Fund in 1922 and 1923.
For additional information about this piece, please contact us.