A Russian porcelain plate from the additions to the Farm Palace Banquet Service, Imperial Porcelain Factory, Saint Petersburg, period of Alexander III (1881-1894), 1831. Centered with the gilt, floriated initial A surmounted by a grand ducal crown, cypher of Grand Duke Alexander Nikolaevich (the future Emperor Alexander II), the borders with profusely ornamented scrolls on a powder blue ground. The reverse with gilt band about the foot and green underglaze mark of Alexander III dated 1893. Diameter: 9 7/8″.
The Farm Palace, located in the gardens of the Imperial residence Peterhof, was completed by Court architect Andrei Shtakenshneider between 1838-1839, primarily as a residence for Grand Duke and Heir to the Throne Alexander Nikolaevich (later Alexander II). The porcelain Banquet Service was begun in 1840 and intended for use at the residence. It became the favorite summer retreat for Alexander II and his family as well as Alexander III. The continued use of the home meant that additions to the set had to be made in the reigns of Alexander II (1855-1881) and Alexander III (1881-1894).
For additional information about this piece, please contact us.