Imperial Russian Porcelain nut dishfrom the Order of ST Vladimir Service made by the Gardner Porcelain Factory, Verbilki, 1783 – 1785.Of oval, tapering form, the exterior molded & gilded as basketwork, painted with the red & black moiré sash of the Order, centered with the badge of the order on each side, the handles formed & painted as freshly woven branches with colorful flowerheads & foliage, the interior with the star of the order. The underside with the dark blue-grey factory mark near the foot, also with an impressed circle & circle & arrow in the paste. Dimensions: 1 7/8” h x 4 3/4” w x 3 7/8″ d(4.7 x 12.1 x 9.8 cm).
In 1782, five years after Empress Catherine II’s Cabinet had ordered the first three of the famed Order Services, the Empress founded the Order of St. Vladimir, in part to mark the twentieth anniversary of her accession to the throne. Credited with having brought Christianity to Russia, Prince Vladimir was canonized by the Orthodox Church & was called “equal to the apostles.” In Russian, this is rendered as Sviatoi Ravnoapostolnyi Kniaz Vladimir & thus the Cyrillic letters SRKV (СРКВ) appear on the star depicted on the service. The Service for the Order of St. Vladimir was first used at the Winter Palace at the ceremony held on the saint’s feast day, September 22, 1785. When the new Order was established, the Empress also named the first eleven members: Field Marshall General Alexander Golitsyn, Prince Grigory Orlov, Count Zakharii Chernyshev, Count Ivan Chernyshev, Count Nikita Panin, Prince Grigory Potemkin, Prince Nikolai Repnin, Ivan Betskoi (Catherine’s private secretary & President of the Imperial Academy of Arts), Ivan Shuvalov (her favorite & member of the Russian Academy), Prince Alexander Bezborodko, & Count Petr Rumiantsev-Zadunaiskii. Other pieces from this service are currently available; please contact us with inquiries.
Subscribe to receive our newsletter and new acquisitions