A Russian jeweled two-color gold mount carved smoky quartz box, Viktor Finikov, Bolin, circa 1890. The escutcheon-form box carved of smoky quartz, the top of the hinged lid and underside of the base carved with rocaille ornament, the fluted red gold mount set with rose cut diamonds in yellow gold foliate mounts and collet-set rubies. Struck with maker’s mark (Cyrillic VF) and 56 standard, the interior of the gold mount on the hinged lid with scratched number 40918. Dimensions: 1 1/8” h x 2 1/2” w x 2 1/8” d (2.8 x 6.4 x 5.4 cm).
A La Vielle Russie, New York, 1972
An American Private Collection, acquired from the above
Parke Bernet Galleries, Inc – The Melvin Gutman Jewelry Part II, October 17, 1969, Lot 143.
Vladimir Yakovlevich Finikov was Court Jeweler Bolin’s unofficial “chief jeweler” in St. Petersburg and worked on a great number of the firm’s commissions by the Imperial court. Finikov established his jewelry workshop in 1880 at Moika, 55, a building belonging to the Bolins. Future Fabergé workmaster Michael Perchin (Mikhail Perkhin) married Finikov’s daughter Tatiana in 1883 and it is believed that part of his training was carried out unofficially in Finikov’s workshop, where he undoubtedly met his future wife. On Finikov, see V. Skurlov, T. Fabergé et al., Mikhail Perkhin. Iuvelir firmy Faberzhe, St. Petersburg, 2011, pp. 17-18.
Subscribe to receive our newsletter and new acquisitions